Saturday, May 2, 2009

(November to) April Showers Bring…



…explosions of color to Zambia, May flowers for sure. Lush green hills and grass color the landscape. Bright red wild poinsettias have been in full bloom since at least Palm Sunday (the week before Easter). The traffic circles and town center in Kitwe are bursting with color. The campus where I live is resplendent with color too.


The seasons are changing though. Most of the gauva have fallen from the tree in my yard. I've been enjoying walking out to pluck a lemon off my other tree when I'm preparing dinner,or looking to freshen up a gin and tonic! Some of the trees are losing their leaves as the “cold season” advances. When I run in the mornings, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I see Zambians bundled up with plaid wool or acrylic blankets, and puffy quilted coats. For them, this is cold; most mornings it’s probably been in the high fifties or low sixties! While riding the minibus to and from town I've been choking on the staleness of the air in the vehicle. Zambians are quick to clamp those minibus windows shut to stay comfortable. Now I try to stake out one of the window seats. At night it has been cool enough for me to cover myself with a blanket as I slide into my linen mitten (the latter a favorite expression of my friend Russell).


1 comment:

Carmen Goetschius said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Have you heard we FINALLY have a new global fellow, but this time it is two!?!? The last few weeks have been crazy here at church, EVENTS and more events, and hosting a group from Zimbabwe. Sorry I haven't been good at keeping you up to date from here! But maybe J.C. has been writing. Anyway, we are grateful for your continued ministry and are excited that you will be integrating TWO into your place in September. Safe travels to you this week! I loved your story about Muyunda... I love baby Sibeso!! Naughty, wonderful little girl.

Praying for you! Carmen